GK believes that only education could alleviate poverty and free them from all forms of deprivation & oppression. Keeping this belief in action, GK has established 187 Gonopatshala (Schools) since 1976 in the remote area of Bangladesh. These schools are in Chittagong Hills Tracts, Coastal belts, Chars and some are in the mainlands. A total number of 18,187 students were enrolled (Boy: 8,738 and Girl: 9,449) continued their education. These students were coming from the ultra-poor, oppressed and ethnic minority families. A total of 445 female teachers was engaged to facilitate the students’ study over the year.
GK handed overall 168 Schools to the local School Managing Committee for the registration with the government. In the reporting period, GK assisted 4 schools with 1293 students (Boy: 727 and Girls, 566) to obtain registration from the Government Authority. The student attendance rate is 86% on average. After registration, the 27 Teachers of these 4 schools are being paid by the Bangladesh Government. GK continued to assist 5 School Management Committees for registration. A total of 13 Teachers was engaged to run the 5 schools with 769 students (Boy: 411 and Girl: 358). Their average attendance rate is 87%.
The GIHS is a project of Gonoshasthaya Kendra Trust, which is a registered as charitable trust in Bangladesh.
Gonoshasthaya Institute of Health Sciences (GIHS) is a training institute for diploma courses in medical technology, approved by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Bangladesh. We offer Diploma Courses in Medical Technologies every year. GIHS is approved by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Bangladesh, and it is affiliated/registered with the State Medical Faculty of Bangladesh and Bangladesh Pharmacy Council. Our enrolment process starts after the publication of the result for the S.S.C or equivalent exam every year.
Inspired by the “Bangladesh Field Hospital” established during the Liberation war in 1971, the GIHS under the Gonoshasthaya Kendra (GK) Trust was founded in 2006, at the village of Tengra, in Sreepur Upazilla, Gazipur. Recently, the institute has been relocated to the main campus of GK, in Mirzanagar, Savar, Dhaka, near the Jatiyo Smriti-Shoudha (National Monument).
As a recognition of its contribution to the national health sector, GK has been awarded the “Swadhinota Dibosh Puroskar”, the highest civilian award of the country, along with many other awards and accolades both from home and abroad.
Necessity of skilled human resources in the national health sector has increased in recent years, as the demand in this sector has also increased. For the proper diagnosis, the significance of skilled and qualified medical technologists is immense. GIHS is established aiming at producing qualified and skilled medical technologists.
The diploma course offered by GIHS is equivalent and similar to those Government run Medical Technology Institutes (IHT).
- After the successful completion of the course, students receive Diploma Certificates from the State Medical Faculty of Bangladesh and Bangladesh Pharmacy Council signed by the Secretary of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Bangladesh.
- Students can enroll in one of the 4 approved courses (3 years long diploma in medical technology) in GIHS every year.
Courses we offer:
- Laboratory Technology (Pathology)
- Radiology and Imaging
Characteristics of GIHS:
- Separate campus hostels for male and female students, and low-cost food service facility.
- Minimum course fee.
- GIHS offers a vast campus and a pleasant environment. GIHS shares its campus with Gonoshasthaya Samaj Vittik Medical College Hospital, Gonoshasthaya Samaj Vittik Dental College and the main office of GK. Gono Bishwabidyalay and Gonoshasthaya Samaj Vittik Medical College are located in nearby separate campuses. Besides these, GIHS has a vast playground for sports and recreation.
- GIHS has modern and sufficiently equipped laboratories for practical classes. Alongside, the students can utilize the laboratories of Savar Gonoshasthaya Samaj Vittik Medical College Hospital, Dhaka, Gonoshasthaya Nagar Hospital, Sreepur Gonoshasthaya Hospital for their practical classes and clinical placement (as per curriculum).
- Employment facility in the laboratories operated by the GK hospitals/health center, including the Gonoshasthaya Samaj Vittik Medical College Hospital.
- Currently, 100% of the students passing from the GIHS are employed in both Government / nongovernment hospitals and clinics.
- Compared to the other equivalent institutes, the course result of GIHS is quite better, while the pass rate is near 100%.
- Students of GIHS, similar to the employees and students of GK, have to devote 1 hour of each working day (from 6:00 am to 7:00 am) to agricultural activity (cleaning and tendering the trees and gardens of the hostel and campus).
- Students are encouraged to lead a simple life.
- We offer an opportunity to complete a computer course at Gonoshasthaya Vocational Institute.
- Special facility to learn cycling, motorcycling, and swimming.
- Opportunities to participate in cultural activities.
- Access to the medical college library.
- Experience in the Faculty.
- Students have to pass S.S.C or equivalent examination in the science group in the current year (admission year) or within the previous four years with a minimum GPA of 2.50. The students have to pass the written admission test organized by the Director General of Health Sciences (DGHS) as well.
- The students have to apply online for the diploma in Medical Technology and Medical Assistant Training Courses (IHT/MATS), according to the admission notice by the Health Directorate usually in December each year. Only those who have applied accordingly can get the necessary permission to appear at the admission test to be held in the next 3 or 4 weeks (usually in January).
- The procedure for admission may be changed in accordance with the change in Government Policies.
- The institute usually offers special classes before the admission test to the students intended for admission in GIHS. The institute also arranges transport facilities on the day of the admission test as well.